Scholarships are financial aids that are awarded to students based on their academic, athletic, or artistic achievements, financial need, or other criteria. Scholarships can be offered by various organizations, including universities, government agencies, private foundations, and corporations.
Scholarships can cover various expenses, including tuition fees, room and board, books, and other educational expenses. The amount of scholarship money can vary greatly, from a few hundred dollars to cover the full cost of attending college.
Applying for scholarships requires research and preparation. Students need to identify scholarships that fit their eligibility and qualifications, and then submit an application that highlights their achievements, goals, and financial need. Many scholarships require essays or other materials that demonstrate the student’s skills and talents.
How to apply for Scholarship in India: General Process
Scholarships can make a significant difference in a student’s ability to attend college and pursue their dreams. They can alleviate the burden of student loans and allow students to focus on their studies and extracurricular activities. Therefore, it is essential for students to explore scholarship opportunities and take advantage of them to the best of their abilities.
India boasts a vast pool of academically gifted individuals, and every year, a significant number of students leave the country to pursue higher education at renowned foreign universities. Despite the large number of students who travel overseas, only a small fraction of them, roughly 20 to 50, receive scholarships specifically designed for Indian students studying abroad. This is largely due to a lack of awareness regarding the availability of study-abroad scholarships for Indian students.
In India, there are various ways in which students can apply for scholarships. Here’s an overview of the general application process:
- Research scholarship opportunities: Students should research the different scholarship opportunities available to them. They can do this by visiting scholarship portals such as the National Scholarship Portal, Buddy4Study, and Scholarships.com, among others. They can also check with their school, college, or university to see if there are any scholarship programs available.
- Check eligibility criteria: Once students have identified potential scholarships, they should check the eligibility criteria to determine if they qualify. Some scholarships are based on academic merit, while others may require financial need, specific talents or skills, or community service.
- Gather required documents: Students should gather all the necessary documents required for the scholarship application, which may include academic records, certificates, income certificates, identity proof, and others.
- Fill out the application form: Students should carefully fill out the scholarship application form, making sure to provide accurate and complete information. They should also follow any instructions provided, such as word limits for essays or recommendations.
- Submit the application: After completing the application form, students should submit it before the deadline. They should ensure that they have included all the necessary documents and that the application is complete.
- Wait for results: After submitting the application, students should wait for the results to be announced. Some scholarships may require an interview or further rounds of selection.
It’s important for students to keep track of scholarship deadlines and apply as early as possible. They should also apply for multiple scholarships to increase their chances of receiving financial aid.
Government Scholarships In India for Higher Studies Abroad
|Name of the Scholarship||Purpose||Provider|
|National Overseas Scholarship for Scheduled Caste (SC) Students||For pursuing Master level & Ph.D. programs in foreign countries||Department of Social Justice and Empowerment|
|Overseas Doctoral Fellowship Program||For doctoral studies in selected countries||Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)- Dept. of Science & Technology|
|National Overseas Scholarship for Scheduled Tribe (ST) Students||For pursuing Master, Ph.D. & post-doctoral programs in Science & Technology & Engineering field||Ministry of Tribal Affairs|
|Sending Students Abroad for Research Internships||Internship in the Universities of Canada||AICTE in association with Mathematics of Information Technology and Computer Systems (MITACS)|
|Scholarship under Education Exchange Program b/w India and Hungry||Higher Education in the institutions of Hungry||UGC|
For detailed information:- visit
State-Level Scholarship in India
|Name of the scheme||State|
|Umbrella Scheme for Education of ST Students- Pre-Matric Scholarship (Class IX & X) for ST Students|
Umbrella Scheme for Education of ST Children -Post Matric Scholarship for ST Students Scheme for Award of Stipend to ST students
|AP Pre-Post Matric Scholarship||Andhra Pradesh|
|Pre-Matric Scholarship to the Children of Those Engaged in Occupations Involving Cleaning & Prone to Health Hazards|
Pre-Matric Scholarship for SC Students (CLASS IX AND X)
Post-Matric Scholarship for SC Students
Pre-Matric Scholarship to OBC Students
Pre-Matric Scholarship to ST Students
Pre-Matric Scholarship to ST Students (Class IX AND X)
Post-Matric Scholarship to OBC Students
Post-Matric to ST Students
|BC-EBC Post-Matric Scholarship|
ST- Post-Matric Scholarship
SC Post-Matric Scholarship
Mukhyamantri Vidhyarthi Yojana
UP Internship Scholarship
|Post-Matric Scholarship for SC students|
Post-Matric Scholarship Scheme for Transgender Students
Post-Matric Scholarship Scheme for OBC Students
DR. Ambedkar Post-Matric Scholarship for Economically Backward Class Students
Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme for SC Students of Class IX and X
|Pre-Matric Scholarship to OBC Students|
Pre-Matric Scholarships to SC Students
Pre-Matric Scholarship to ST Students
|Dadra & Nagar Haveli|
|Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Pre Matric Scholarship for needy students (Class IX & X)|
Centrally Sponsored Scheme of post matric scholarship for ST students
|MSCE Pune Scholarship||Maharashtra|
|Centrally Sponsored Post Matric Scholarship for SC, ST, and OBC students|
Centrally Sponsored Pre-Matric Scholarship for SC, ST, OBC, and EWS students
Dr. Ambedkar Post-Matric Scholarship for EB classes students
Mukhya Mantri Protsahan Yojana
Maharshi Balmiki Chatravriti Yojana
Integrated Rural Development Program (IRDP)
Kalpana Chawla Chatravriti Yojana
Indira Gandhi Utkrisht Chatravriti Yojana
Thakur Sen Negi Utkrist Chatravriti Yojana
Swami Vivekanand Chatravriti Yojana
Dr. Ambedkar Medhavi Chatravriti Yojana
Dr. Ambedkar Medhavi Chatravriti Yojana OBC students
|Post Matric Scholarships to ST students||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Pre-Matric Scholarship for ST students (For Class IX and X)|
Post Matric Scholarship for ST students
|Umbrella Scheme for Education of ST childrenPre-Matric Scholarship (Class IX & X) for ST students|
Umbrella Scheme for Education of ST children Post Matric Scholarship for ST students
|Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Pre-Matric Scholarship for SC Students (Class IX & X)|
Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Post Matric Scholarship for SC students
Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Pre-Matric Scholarship for needy ST Students (Class IX & X)
Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Post Matric Scholarship for ST Students
|Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Post Matric Scholarship for Economically Backward Classes (Secondary Education)|
Pre-Matric ST Scholarship
Post-Matric ST Scholarship Schemes
Post Matric Scholarship for SC Students
Post Matric Scholarship for OBC Students
Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Post Matric Scholarship for Economically Backward Classes (EBC)
NEC Merit Scholarship
Pre Matric SC Cleaning and Health Hazard -Tripura Pre Matric SC (Class IX AND X) Mukhyamantri Yuba Yogayog Yojana
|Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme for Minority (100 percent State Sector)|
Post Matric Scholarship for EBC Students
Pre-Matric Disability Scholarship (State Sector)
Pre-Matric Scholarship for SC Students (State Sector)
Pre-Matric Scholarship for ST Students (State Sector)
Pre-Matric Scholarship for OBC Students (State Sector 50% and Central Sector 50%)
Pre-Matric Scholarship for SC Students (Center Sector)
Pre-Matric Scholarship for ST Students (Center Sector)
Post-Matric Scholarship for ST Students Post-Matric
Scholarship for SC Students
Post-Matric Scholarship for OBC Students
| West Bengal Scholarship|
Oasis ScholarshipWest Bengal Merit Cum Means ScholarshipSwami Vivekananda Merit Cum Means Scholarship Scheme for Minorities, West Bengal
|TS iPass Scholarship||Telangana State|
|Post Matric Scholarship for SC|
Mukhyamantri Medhavi Vidyarthi Scheme
|Karnataka Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme|
ePass Vidhyashri Scholarship
national portal scholarship – visit
College/University Level Scholarship in India
|Name of the scheme||Provider|
|SRM Founder’s||SRM University|
|Scholarship based on LPU NEST||Lovely Professional University|
|Scholarship based on BITSAT Performance||Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences (BITS)|
|Support the Advancement of Rural Students (STARS)||Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT)|
Other Scholarship in India
|Name of the scheme||Provider|
|Atul Maheshwari Scholarship||Amar Ujala|
|Dr. Ambedkar Post Matric Scholarship||Government of India|
|Akash ANTHE||Aakash Institute|
|JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship||Tata group|
|ISRO Young Scientist Program||ISRO|
|HP Udaan Scholarship Program||HP Inc. India|
|Aditya Birla Group Scholarship (ABGS) Program||Aditya Birla Group|
|Teach for India Fellowship||Teach for India|
|OP Jindal Engineering & Management Scholarships (OJEMS)||Jindal Group|
|Google Women Techmakers Scholars Program|
|ZScholars Program for General Undergraduate Course||ZScholars|
|L’Oréal India For Young Women in Science Scholarships||L’Oréal India|
|Sitaram Jindal Foundation Scholarship Scheme||Sitaram Jindal Foundation|
|Indian Oil Educational Scholarship||Indian Oil Corporation (IOC)|
|Dhirubhai Ambani Scholarship Fund||Reliance Foundation|
|Jawaharlal Nehru Scholarship for Doctoral Studies||Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund (JNMF)|
|Nationwide Education and Scholarship Test [NEST]||Shrimanji’s Events Management Centre International [SEMCI]|
|Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Limited Scholarship||ONGC|
|L&T Build India Scholarship||Larsen & Toubro [L&T] Limited|
|Nirankari Rajmata Scholarship Scheme||Sant Nirankari Charitable Foundation|
How to apply for Scholarship in India?
To apply for a scholarship in India, you can follow these steps:
- Identify the scholarship you want to apply for: There are several scholarships available in India, including those offered by the government, private organizations, and educational institutions. Research and find out which scholarship program you are eligible for.
- Check the eligibility criteria: Each scholarship has specific eligibility criteria that you need to meet. Make sure you read and understand these criteria before applying.
- Collect the required documents: Scholarship applications typically require you to submit certain documents, such as academic transcripts, certificates, and proof of income. Gather all the necessary documents in advance to avoid any last-minute rush.
- Fill out the application form: Once you have identified the scholarship and checked the eligibility criteria, you need to fill out the application form. Most scholarship applications can be completed online, but some may require a physical application form.
- Submit the application form and required documents: After filling out the application form, make sure you submit it along with all the required documents. Some scholarships may require you to submit the application form and documents by post or in person, while others may allow you to upload the documents online.
- Wait for the results: After submitting your application, you need to wait for the results to be announced. The selection process for scholarships can take time, so be patient and wait for the announcement.
- Follow up if necessary: If you do not hear back from the scholarship provider within the specified time, follow up to find out the status of your application.
By following these steps, you can apply for a scholarship in India and increase your chances of securing financial assistance for your education.
If you want to get an education loan then visit the education loan