IFS Exam 2023 – Indian Forest Services exam acronym IFS Exam is taken by the UPSC for recruiting officers for the Indian Forest Service. The Indian Forest Service Officers (IFS) recruited through UPSC play a crucial role in the management and supervision of the country’s forest reserves and wildlife.
Selected candidates are sent for foundation training at the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration followed by specialized training at the Indira Gandhi National Forest Academy, Dehradun.
IFS Exam 2023 Important Dates
Date of Notification and Start of Online Registration
- February 2023
Last Date of Submission of Application Form
- 28th February 2023
Date of Entrance Exam (
- 28th May 2023
Date of Declaration of Result
- To be notified.
IFS Exam Eligibility
|Educational Qualification||Age Limits|
|Upper age limit Relaxation for Candidates|
|Category||Age Relaxation (in yrs)|
|SC / ST||5|
|Defense Services Personnel Disabled||3|
|Ex-Servicemen including Commissioned Officers and ECOs/SSCOs||5|
|In Case of:||10|
|A candidate must be either:|
UPSC CSE IFS 2023 Exam Syllabus
IFS Exam consists of questions from the compulsory and optional subjects taken by the candidate from the given list.
IFS Exam 2023 Pattern
The IFS exam consists of a screening test (same as that of the Civil Services Exam’s Preliminary Test) followed by a main written test comprising of the following given papers and a Personality test of such candidates who qualify on the basis of the written examination
(A) The written examination consists of the following papers:
i) Compulsory Papers (Both)
|General English||General Knowledge|
|300 marks||300 marks|
ii) Optional Papers ( Two subjects with two papers each)
|First optional Subject|
|First optional Subject|
|Second optional Subject|
|Second optional Subject|
Total Marks = (300+300+4×200=800)=1400
(B) Interview for Personality Test of such candidates as may be called by the Commission– Maximum marks: 300
2. List of Optional Subjects and their codes (Subject to Provisions Below):
Provided that the candidates will not be allowed to offer the following combination of subjects :
- Agriculture and Agricultural Engineering
- Agriculture and Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science.
- Chemistry and Chemical Engg.
- Mathematics and Statistics.
- Of the Engineering subjects viz. Agricultural Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering – not more than one subject;
- The candidates will be interviewed by a Board of competent and unbiased observers who will have before them a record of their career. The object of the interview is to assess the personal suitability of the candidate for the Service. The candidate will be expected to have taken an intelligent interest not only in his/her subjects of academic study but also in events that are happening around him.
- The technique of the interview is not that of a strict cross-examination, but of a natural, though directed and purposive conversation, intended to reveal the mental qualities of the candidate.
Important Instructions about the level of the Test
- The standard of papers in General English and General Knowledge will be such as may be expected of a Science or Engineering graduate of an Indian University.
- The Scope of the Syllabus for optional subject papers for the examination is of the Honors Degree level i.e. A level Higher than the Bachelor’s Degree and lower than the Master’s Degree. In the case of engineering subjects, the level corresponds to the Bachelor’s Degree.
|General English||General Knowledge||Optional Subjects|
IFS Exam 2023 Fees
- A candidate seeking admission to this type of UPSC Exam must pay to the Commission a fee of Rs.100/-(Rupees One Hundred only) through a single Central Recruitment Fee Stamp of the requisite denomination.
- Candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes are not required to pay any fee. No Fee exemption is, However, Available to OBC
- Physically disabled persons are exempted from the payment of the fee. A physically disabled candidate claiming age relaxation/fee concession will be required by the Commission to submit along with their detailed application form, a certified copy of the certificate from a Government Hospital/Medical Board in support of his claim for being physically disabled.
Important:– ‘Postage Stamp’ will in no case be accepted in lieu of ‘Central Recruitment Fee Stamp’.Fees sent through Indian Postal Orders, Bank Draft, Money Order, Crossed Cheque, Currency Notes, or Treasury Challan, etc. will also not be accepted by the Commission.
Note 1: Applications not accompanied by the prescribed Fee (Unless remission of Fee is claimed) shall be summarily rejected.
Note 2: Fee once paid shall not be refunded under any circumstances nor can the fee be held in reserve for any other examination or selection.
How to apply for Indian Forest Services Exam 2022?
- Candidates are required to apply online only, by using the website i.e. www.upsconline.nic.in. Detailed instructions for filling up online applications are available on the website itself.
- However, candidates residing in certain remote areas specified in the official website may also apply offline mode, by using the New Common Application Form (Form-E) being used for examinations conducted by the Commission.
- This Form can be purchased from the designated Head Post Offices/Post Offices throughout the country against cash payment of Rs. 30/- (Rupees Thirty Only). Each such Form can be used only once and only for one examination. In case of any difficulty in obtaining Application Forms from the designated HPOs/ POs, the candidates should immediately contact the concerned post-Master or UPSC’s “FORMS SUPPLY MONITORING CELL” over Telephone No. 011-23389366/ FAX No. 011-23387310. It may be noted that all offline applications, if any, received from candidates residing in normal areas/ abroad, shall be summarily rejected by the Commission.
- The option of offline application is available only to candidates residing in specified remote areas.
IFS Exam 2023 Dates
The Indian Forest Service Exam is generally held in the month of July on the pattern of the civil services exam, and selection is done in three phases.
IFS Exam 2023 Test Centres in India
The IFS(Mains) Exam is held every year in the main cities of India i.e.,
- Aligarh, Allahabad, Anantapur, Aurangabad, Agra, Ajmer, Ahmedabad, Aizwal, Agartala
- Bengaluru, Bhopal
- Chennai, Cuttack
- Delhi, Dispur (Guwahati), Dehradun, Dharwar
- Gangtok, Gaya, Ghaziabad, Gorakhpur
- Indore, Itanagar
- Jabalpur, Jaipur, Jammu, Jodhpur, Jorhat
- Kolkata, Kohima, KozhiKode
- Port Blair, Patna, Panaji, Puducherry
- Ranchi, Rajkot
- Shimla, Shillong, Siliguri, Sambalpur
- Thane, Tirupati, Thiruvananthapuram, Tiruchirapalli
- Varanasi, Vellore, Vijayawada, Vishakhapatnam
IFS Exam 2022 Contact Details
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)
Dholpur House, Shahjahan Road,
New Delhi- 10069
Phone Number- 011-23385271/ 011-23381125/ 011-23098543