Probationary Officer also called as Bank PO is a managerial level post offered in almost all the Public Sector Banks of India. Probationary Officer is an entry-level managerial job. A Probationary Officer holds the designation of an Assistant Manager in Public Sector Banks
Bank PO is the officer who is in the direct contact of their subordinates as well as their prospective customers. They are the ones who have to make a balance between the perfect services provided to their customers as well as the well-being of their employees
With the increase in the commercial activities throughout the world and globalization of the world market, there is a spurt increase in the activities of the banking sector thereby proportionate increase in the responsibilities of the bank employees and especially bank officers.
Thus they have to be very effective in their services. Taking efficiency into consideration the Bank Probationary Officers are selected on the basis of a written test which is known as Bank Probationary Officers Exam (Bank PO exam) and an interview conducted by Banking Service Recruitment Board so that most appropriate person for the job could be selected to perform the duty properly.
After their selection through a rigorous test, they are made to undergo two years probation period during which they perform various banking functions such as loans, foreign exchange, saving and current accounts. As a manager, they are made responsible for the functioning of their particular branch. They are the sole in charge of staff welfare, legal matters and profit margins etc.
Educational Qualifications required to become a Bank Probationary Officer for different category of candidates are as follows:
- General Candidates and others – 60% or more marks in class XII and 55% or more marks in Graduation or Post Graduation
- SC/ST/PWD Candidates – 55% or more marks in class XII and 50% or more marks in Graduation or Post Graduation
- Proficiency in computer (Certificate from a reputed Institute or having a computer as a subject in class XII or Graduation).
- Not below 21 years and not above 30 years as on prescribed date.
Relaxation in the Upper Age Limit to Reserve category candidate’s Upper age is relaxable by
- 3 years in the case of OBC candidates.
- 5 years in the case of i) SC/ST candidates. ii) Ex-servicemen (including Emergency Commissioned Officers/Short Service Commissioned Officers) provided applicants have rendered at least five years continuous Military Service and have been released on completion of assignment (including those whose assignment is due to be completed within one year) otherwise than by way of dismissal or discharge on account of misconduct or inefficiency or /on account of physical disability or have been released on account of physical disability attributable to Military Service iii) Candidates who had ordinarily been domiciled in Kashmir Division of the State of Jammu and Kashmir between 1st January, 1980 and 31st December, 1989.
- 10 years for VH/OH (Gen); 13 years for VH/OH (OBC) and 15 years for VH/OH (SC/ ST) candidates.
Probationary Officer Required Skills
- As a Probationary Officer is a mid-level management post thus a PO has to be in contact with his subordinate and higher staff. So to do their job in an effective manner an aspiring bank PO should possess excellent communication skills along with the ability to resolve conflicts in a cool and calm manner.
- Strong analytical skills and decision-making power can he handful for performing his duties as a PO in the bank.
Aspiring candidates have to follow the given steps to become a Bank Probationary Officer:
Preliminary Examination: Time 2 Hrs. (Combined)
Candidates will be called for an objective type examination. The objective type examination will consist of:
- Reasoning Ability Test
- Quantitative Aptitude
- General Awareness/Computer Knowledge
- English Language
Note: Question paper will be in bilingual form i.e. in Hindi and English except the test of English language.
Main Test: Time 3 Hrs. (Combined)
This will be an Objective and Descriptive type examination. The objective type examination of 2 hours duration will consist of:
- Test of Reasoning
- Data Analysis and Interpretation
- Marketing Knowledge
- Test of English Language
Note: The Descriptive type examination will be a test of English knowledge – Time 60 Minutes
Group Discussion & Interview:
Qualifying candidates will be called for Group Discussion and Interview. They have to secure 40% (35% for SC/ST/PWD) aggregate marks i.e. Group Discussion and Interview put together to be eligible for selection.
STEP II and STEP III marks will be aggregated and arranged in the descending order for candidates who have qualified in both the tiers and depending on the vacancies, selection will be made from the top merit ranked candidates in each category. Candidates will have to pass both in STEP II & STEP III for final selection.
Probationary Officer Job Description or Responsibilities
- During two years of the Probation period, the PO job description includes performing all type of bank related work whether it is of the level of a clerk or assistant or a managerial job.
- During their probation period, they are supposed to jobs of various categories, including any of the routine works such as scrolling, posting, account preparation etc. so as to get the practical knowledge of finance, accounting, marketing, billing as well as investment.
- After the successful completion of the probation period, they are posted as Assistant Bank Manager and supposed to handle works on daily customer transactions, viz. passing a cheque, draft issuance, cash management etc.
- As an Assistant Managers they are supposed to increase the bank business viz. managing cash flow, loans and mortgages and finances.
- Bank PO or Assistant Bank Manager’s job responsibilities also include working as public relations officer, handle customer complaints and address various customer related issues such as discrepancies in accounts, rectification of undue charges and look into complaints regarding services provided by the bank.
- After getting requisite experience and knowledge Assistant Bank Managers are also entrusted the work or planning, budgeting, marketing, loan processing and approval, investment management etc.
- Their work also includes the supervision of clerical work, making decisions for the benefit of the bank, managing cash balance etc.
- Bank PO or Assistant Manager takes care of the loan related documents and performs on-site visit of the loan taking personals as and when required.
- A bank PO issues ATM cards, chequebooks, Demand Drafts etc.
- To be aware of all the latest developments of the bank they are required to read all the circulars and should know about all the decisions taken by the bank management.
A probationary Officer progress to the upper positions as given below:
- Probationary Officer
- Deputy Managers
- General Managers
- Chief General Manager
Selected candidates will be on probation for a period of two years. They will draw a starting basic pay of Rs. 23,700 along with a lot of allowances such as DA, Transport Allowance, HRA, CCA etc.
The Gross Salary thus amounts to Rs.38,703 for a probationary officer. The officers are also entitled to other terminal benefits as per the policy defined by the banks.
Note: Salary may vary from Bank to Bank and increase with time.