The East India Company’s Court of Directors sent a dispatch in July 1854 to the Governor-General of India, proposing the creation of Universities of Calcutta, Madras, and Bombay. Following this dispatch, the University of Calcutta was established on January 24, 1857, under the administration of Lord Canning, the Governor-General of India. The University was set up with the help of Dr. Fredrick John, the education secretary to the British government in India. The University of Calcutta was founded through a legislative council act (Act No. II of 1857) of British India. It initially followed the pattern of the University of London but gradually made modifications to its structure. The University is now governed by the Calcutta University Act 1979, which has been amended until May 31, 2006. The act aims to improve the efficiency of the University in teaching, research, and training and extend higher education to the growing needs of society. The University’s jurisdiction is currently limited to a few districts in West Bengal and is a state-government administered urban-based research and affiliated university. With over 63 postgraduate departments and a capacity of more than 130,000 students, the University of Calcutta is one of the largest in Asia. It has 192 affiliated colleges and is spread across 14 campuses in the city of Kolkata.
College Campuses – The University has a number of campuses spread all over the metropolis and its suburbs.